16 June 2008
An Unexpected Turn Of Events
First and foremost we would like to thank all of you who have come alongside of us as we battle Deborah’s cancer. God has used you all in ways that have been so comforting and helpful and we will be eternally grateful for your love and support.
Second, we would like to thank Dr. Jilani, Deborah’s Oncologist, for his hard work but most of all his honesty and kindness to our entire family. Dr. Jilani is probably the best Physician Deborah has ever had and we thank God for putting him in our lives.
That being said, it is with a sad heart that we bring you this latest update regarding Deborah’s condition. After careful prayer and consideration of all available treatments, Deborah and Dr. Jilani decided to permanently discontinue chemotherapy treatment for her Ovarian Cancer. Deborah was placed on Hospice care last Wednesday in order to provide comfort for her symptoms. Our goal with Hospice Care is to provide quality end-of-life care and comfort for Deborah because she is no longer able to care for herself. We as a family have decided to care for her at home where she will receive loving care from us, our relatives and friends in cooperation with the Hospice nurses and doctors.
Although we as a family were hoping for a different outcome, we realize that Deborah has already beaten the statistics for women her age who are diagnosed with Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer. We truly believe that it is by God’s Grace alone that He has brought her safe this far and we are all confident that it will be by God’s Grace He will lead her home to be with Him. What is most important to Deborah is that we as a family take every opportunity we can to reach one more person for Christ, despite these circumstances.
We are reminded of the men and women of the Bible who, despite the odds against them, relied on God’s Grace and Strength in order to bring glory to Christ and they serve as an inspiration and a guide to Deborah. The greatest guide of all during this time is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who has still has the power to heal and the desire to give comfort to those who are sick.
As you read this, you may be wondering how you can get involved and be a part of what God is doing in the life of Deborah and her family. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- If you’d like to help by signing up to bring a meal, please contact Judi Storey at 310-643-9564. For now we need meals delivered everyday and Judi is ready and willing to let you know what to make and when to bring it.
- If you’d like to help with light house work please contact Nadene Ames at 661-618-5095. Nadene will be coordinating a weekly list of things that will need to get done in order for us as a family to spend more time caring for Deborah.
- If you’d like to provide encouragement to Deborah or to us as a family we recommend that you first post a comment here on the website or send a card or letter personally to Deborah.
- If you’d like to visit, please contact Cliff Jr. at xxx-xxx-xxxx to schedule an appointment. Right now visiting hours are Tuesday-Friday 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm. Visits are limited to 15-20 minutes only if Deborah is feeling up to it.
Perhaps the best way you can help is to pray for all of us as a family. Here are a few specific prayer requests:
- Please pray that God would allow the various medications will provide comfort and ease Deborah’s symptoms.
- Please pray that God would provide us as a family with strength and patience to care for Deborah each day.
- Please pray that God will provide us with peace about the decision that was made and the sudden onset of symptoms.
- Please pray that God would grant strength and patience to our relatives and family that will also be playing a role in Deborah’s care.
- Please pray that God will give wisdom to the doctors and nurses that will be caring for Deborah.
- Please pray that God would continue to provide our family with opportunities to share Christ with all who meet us as a result of Deborah’s illness.
If you have any questions please feel free to email email@example.com or feel free to leave a comment, prayer or scripture of encouragement on this website. We will be reading them to Deborah everyday. We will also be posting updates more frequently so that those of you who are further away are able to keep in touch with what is going on in the life of our family.
The Ames Family
Cliff Ames Sr., Deborah Ames, Cliff Ames Jr. and Nadene Ames